stockyard n : enclosed yard where cattle, pigs, horses, or sheep are kept temporarily
A stockyard is an enclosure for the keeping of livestock. In the United States, stockyards are regulated by the Grain Inspection, Packers and Stockyards Administration. They are sometimes associated with slaughterhouses.
Some stockyards include:
- Stockyard Landing, original name of Arabi, Louisiana
- "Stockyard" Name of a Dutch rock band from Amsterdam (early 1970's) http://www.stockyard.hyves.nl
- Stockyard, Queensland, Australia
- The Stockyard Stoics, a punk rock band
- Stockyard Magazine, a Chicago-based publication.
- A stock yard can also refer to various storage yards used in mining, manufacturing, and transportation of goods.